Great blog by John Nichols in The Nation today about how the entire state of Vermont has voted to impeach George Bush. As the town of Middlebury duly noted, "When strong evidence exists of the most serious crimes, we must use impeachment -- or lose the ability of the legislative branch to compel the executive branch to obey the law...George Bush has led our country to a constitutional crisis, and it is our responsibility to remove him from office."
I like Vermont. I haven't been there too, too often, but there is just something awesome about a little state of less than a million people all at once flipping George Bush the bird. That's just so cool.
In honor of such a courageous move on behalf of Vermont's citizenry, I present...
Top Ten Reasons Why Vermont Is the Bluest State of Them All
10. Two words: Bernie Sanders
9. They have their own successionist movement based on social responsibility and opposing "state-sponsored violence inflicted either by the military or law enforcement officials"
8. Home of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, model of socially responsible business owner ship (and very tasty ice cream)
7. The Vermont legislature is the first in the nation to call for "an immediate and orderly withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq."
6. The fastest growing political party is the Vermont Progressive Party.
5. Bill O'Reilly hates it.
4. Right wingers have actually tried a "Take Back Vermont" campaign...with little success, apparently.
3. Equal rights for all, including the right to legally tie yourself down to a hopelessly unsuitable partner just like straight people.
2. Howard "I hate Republicans and everything they stand for" Dean is only the second most liberal guy in the state
1. They remain steadfast to their philosophies and ideals despite their losses.
Vermont, I salute you! May your liberal light continue to shine and act as a beacon for the rest of us.